Wednesday, January 2, 2013

"Whisked Away" - An Abstract Painting

"Whisked Away"     2.5" x 3.5"     Acrylic on Bristol Board

Some of you may not know this, but I absolutely love creating abstract works! In and of themselves, abstracts offer the artist complete and utter freedom to do whatever one wants, no boundaries, no expectations for it to look a certain way or any of those other things that can cause one to get bogged down and uninspired. I'm certain that throughout this year you'll be seeing many, many more of these as I process my emotions and all the things going on in my life and the lives of those closest to me.

This particular abstract, though, was done in a very strange way... I was wanting to try out some new techniques with a very unique tool I discovered, but I think when I tell you what it was, you're gonna laugh... It was a cat whisker! I've been trying to find a strong single bristle brush for extremely fine detail work for some time now, but I haven't been successful with that and was dying to see with how this would work instead. The tip is actually a bit flimsy, and the root is way too stiff, so I'm thinking I may cut it in half to see if a little farther down the whisker will provide a better painting tool in the end. I know it's weird, but hey, maybe it's just revolutionary! ;0) After all, most brushes are made out of animal hair anyways, so what's so wrong with using a whisker? Oh, and don't worry, no animals were harmed in the making of this painting - I just found a whisker on the floor the other day from Mayonnaise the Ninja Kitty, that's all. =D

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Haha, thank you very much! =) It was quite fun for me to make, although I felt a little silly at times and couldn't help laughing to myself that I was actually using my cat's whisker... But hey, it worked! =)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...