Wednesday, January 16, 2013

"Calla Lily" - A Still Life Nature Painting

I stumbled upon an old photograph of a Calla Lily I took way back when and just had to paint it today. At first I thought it was an Iris, and then half-way through the painting I realized what a nerd I was and that it was indeed a Lily instead. Wow, I guess I really don't have a green thumb after all (as if anyone was questioning that, seeing as how the only plants I can keep alive for any amount of time are Cacti and Orchids).

I'm not normally one to get all into painting floral compositions, though I love looking at other people's work on the subject, but for some reason I was drawn back to this subject already during this "30 in 30" challenge, which I found a bit odd. Perhaps it will just be a passing phase, or perhaps it will lead to more, only time will really tell... =)

"Calla Lily"     4" x 5"     Acrylic on Archival Canvas Panel

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kyra! This means so much coming from you - you're like seriously my most favorite new artist right now! I adore your work! So thank you, because this seriously makes my day! =)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this! White calla lilies are one of my favorite flowers. :) The purple background is gorgeous too! - Veronica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so, so much Veronica! I struggled a lot with whether or not to try to mute out the purple in the background, but in the end, I'm glad that I didn't mute it too much! I'm really liking the vibrancy now, especially against the white form of the lily. This is such a sweet compliment! =)

      Delete
  3. This looks Wonderful!!! Great color combination, beautiful flower, looks so smooth for 4"x5"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It took me forever to get it to look even a little smooth, I had to fuss with it so much I was starting to worry I was wasting my time. So thanks for the sweet compliment - it means a lot! =)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...