Tuesday, February 23, 2016

"Feeling A Bit Unraveled" - A Colored Pencil Painting of A Peeled Orange in High Contrast

"Feeling a Bit Unraveled"     2.5" x 3.5" (ACEO)     Prismacolors and White Gel Pen on Acrylic Paper


So I absolutely LOVE works of art that are done in high contrast, so when Lela Stankovic posted the reference photo for this piece on her blog site, "Paint And Draw Together," I just about went giddy with excitement! It reminds me of the works done by the old Masters - well, her photograph does anyways... I tried as hard as I could to do it justice, and found that working on such a minitiature scale required a different way of getting in my bright white highlights, and oh did I stumble upon the best tool ever! I never would have thought to use this over colored pencils because I just wouldn't think it would actually draw on top of them, especially with how wonderfully waxy Prismacolors are, but earlier this week I had done a Tangle on a Black Tile with a White Gel Pen and I thought, hey, why not try it out? And it worked out so perfectly for what I was hoping for that I just wanted to dance a little happy dance right then and there, even if it was the middle of the night (added bonus - everyone was asleep so no one would see me making a fool of myself - smart, right?!). =0) Before the whites were so dingy and dull, and now they sparkle with a brightness that's just how I pictured them. I love it when things work out that way!

Oh how I hope you are having a wonderful day today. I'm nursing my sore gums - I had an oral surgery last week to remove a molar that was so extremely painful - it had an abscess in it for over a month and yet our dentist, who's no longer our dentist, kept dragging his feet to even see me for it. The new dentist we have now is so incredible - their surgeons are so kind - and even though it took a long time in coming, I'm glad I waited because I got better care in the end. Turns out my roots are so long they actually go into my sinuses (crazy, right? Only me, only me... I seem to be the "it only happens to the 1 in 1 million" person - though I imagine this is more common than that) that they had to do a bone and membrane graft as well, which is so weird. I feel like I'm starting to become a little Mrs. Frankenstein - made up of more of other people's parts than my own... Lol! Oh man, you just have to laugh at this stuff, it's so ridiculous! =D Well, I'm gonna go paint and try to not eat all the ice-cream in the house - it just feels so good on my gums right now - so I bid you farewell. I'm almost done taking the last pics of that painting "Hospitali-tea" with the Mice and Chipmunk having tea under the Mushroom so I'll be posting that soon, so keep your eyes open for that! Alright, bye now! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...