Wednesday, January 23, 2013

"Early Morning Wake-Up Call for Tyler" - An Abstract Painting

"Early Morning Wake-Up Call for Tyler"     5" x 7"     Acrylic on Museum Quality Claybord
Not For Sale

No, no, I wasn't lazy today by just posting the same piece again as yesterday. This one is new. Let me explain... So yesterday morning when Ty saw my piece "Early Morning Wake-Up Call" on the computer,  he loved it so much he was actually really excited about it and even said it was his absolute favorite abstract of mine yet up to date, but then was rather disappointed when he realized I had done it on such a small scale. So today's piece is my attempt at recreating it for him, still small mind you (5" x 7" per Tyler's request), but much bigger than before. I'm actually really happy with how it turned out! After all, it's really, REALLY hard to recreate an abstract, or any piece of art for that matter, exactly as it appeared before, which is why that was one of the main practices masters used to teach their apprentices how to paint. I know this painting's not even close to spot-on, but I like it and it turned out pretty stinkin' close to the original. So now I just have to play the waiting game and see later today what Tyler thinks about it, after he wakes up that is. I'm a little nervous, but after I wake up (I guess I need to sleep first) I'll let you know what he thought. Yup, yesterday I woke up at 3:30am, tonight I'll be going to bed after 4am. Wow. My schedule is ALL messed up! Ha, I sooo have to try to get back on track, but I'm starting to loose track of what being "on track" looks like... Yikes! =P

Well, I really hope you all are having a great day today! Sorry for any of you who signed up for the contest and like this piece - unless Tyler ends up hating it, I obviously made it for him so it's spoken for already. But there's plenty of other works to choose from, so no worries I hope. Plus there's the little baby version of this one too, and it looks awful cute in a frame, let me tell ya! Sorry if there are any guys reading this - that was probably a little too girly for you... Anyways, speaking of this contest, I can't believe there's only 8 more days left to sign up! Seriously, this month has flown by crazy fast!

MY TIP FOR THE DAY:
Did you know that you can actually use plastic wrap and those little thin sandwich baggies to make cool effects with your paint. It's a great tool for creating texture in your works, and you should totally give it a try! You can create multiple effects, such as splattery-ish looks (wow, that was an awful made-up word. Again, sorry. Lol!), tree bark, beautiful smudges and dappling to name a few. I used both "plastic tools" in different areas all over these last two paintings, and I have to admit, it's quite a blast to do! It's super easy too. All you have to do is apply your paint somewhat thick, or even really thick if you like, crumple up the food packaging of your choice, and dab and smear and scrunch it up into the paint, moving around the piece as you go. You can also pick up the paint with the plastic directly and apply it that way, and you can use more than one color as well to get an even more mottled effect. I think I shall be painting an entire abstract soon with only those two tools - it could be pretty cool! Can you imagine trying to do a realistic painting with only those as well - I imagine the effect would be slightly similar to knife painting, though really totally different. I'm not so sure that made much sense, but hey, it's almost 4am, so yeah... Haha, oh bother, I really need to go to bed now. So, if you feel like painting and can't remember where your brushes are at 3am, or if you just want to try something different and exciting, I highly suggest you try this out! It's a blast to do and it can add so much to your painting if you're willing to give it a shot. Either way, I hope you have a great day and have the chance to be creative, whatever that may look like for you in your life! As for me, it's nigh-night time as we call it in our house, and the kids are probably going to wake up soon, so it's off to bed for me. Talk to you later! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...